Finding a balance between work and life should not be an impossible task. When we are always worried about bouncing from teaching gig to teaching gig, while tending to the needs of our families and trying to catch up on household tasks, we often lose sight of ourselves.
This can lead to unhappy and unhealthy lives. Stress can build and productivity can diminish when a balance between work and life is nonexistent. Here are six simple things we can do to help improve our relationships, health, and happiness in order to maintain a work life balance:
- Set short, attainable goals. Begin by making lists to identify what is most important. Eliminate activities that waste time and won’t reduce a weight off your shoulders. If it can be done tomorrow, next weekend, or next month, keep it off the list. You will be filled with a sense of accomplishment when you can cross items off your list.
- Exercise. It isn’t a mystery to understand how beneficial working out can be. Not only can it decrease anxiety and depression, but exercise can make you feel happy and give you more energy. The release of endorphins during a workout can increase focus, enhance concentration, and build a stronger immune system. Even something as simple as meditation can offer the mind a moment to exercise.
- Listen to music. Cranking up your favorite tunes can enhance your concentration and mood as well, reduce stress, and increase productivity. Depending on what you listen to, music can also boost your creativity.
- Communicate with your support system. We all have those moments in our lives when we need to vent or just hear the voice of someone who can make us feel at ease during stressful times in our day. Setting aside a brief moment of your day to talk with someone who supports you can help bring balance to your life.
- Ask for help. This is not a sign of failure but a recognition of strength. It is humanly impossible to do everything our jobs and lives demand of us. We can lift a little weight off our shoulders by reaching out for a helping hand and sharing our responsibilities with others.
- Step away from technology. Our lives are constantly bombarded with technology. Whether we sit in front of a computer screen all day, text or email from our phones, or relax in front of our favorite television show, screen time hinders the balance we seek to find. Being present in the moment means stepping away from texts, emails, and social media to reconnect with the sights and sounds of the world around you.
At SubSideKick, we know the importance of maintaining a balance between your personal and professional life. For further information about how to make time for yourself contact us, and we’ll be eager to guide you toward happiness and balance!